Monday, April 27, 2009

CRAFTING WITH DOMINOS

There are lots of things you can do with dominos, I made a few items as shown in the first picture in this post. I found some clip art that I liked and printed it on clear address labels. The labels where then stuck to the dominos and sprayed with a coat of polyurethane. I made some into necklaces, key chains, lapel pins, and magnets. For the necklaces simply drill a 3/32" hole from side to side about 1/4" from the end of the domino, then cut a piece of decorative cord to string through the hole and knot ends together(could be put on a chain as well). The keychain is made by taking the domino drill a 1/16" hole in the center of the top end of it. Then screw a small eyelet into the hole (eyelets can be purchased at hardware in chrome or brass) and attach keyring. The pin is made by simply glueing a jewelery pin to one side of the domino. The magnet is made simply by glueing a magnetic strip to one side of the domino. Dominos can also be decorated by stamping designs onto them. I am sure you will come up with many other ways to use these handy items. Email me and let me know some of your ideas, I would love to hear them.


































This domino clock is an item my husband and I made for my craft room. When I started this post I searched the net for domino clocks and found a site called dominoclocks.com that sells clocks at $25.00 to $35.00 each. You can made one yourself for alot less. All you need is a clock kit from Hobby Lobby or some other craft store, a round, square, or what ever shape piece of material, and 12 dominos from 1 to 12. We used a piece of Purple Heart wood to make our clock. You will need to drill a hole in the center of your clock base to match the shaft of the clock works. Finish your base with paint or polyurethane glue the dominos in the proper order at spaces of 30 degrees around the clock face. Insert the shaft of the clock works through the hole in the base from the back of the clock. Screw the supplied nut onto the clock works shaft and tighten down, then attach the hands. On the back of the clock we glued a frame around the works and attached a wall hanging bracket because of the weight of the clock (purple heart is a hard heavy wood). Some clock kits have a wall hanging bracket attached to the clock works. Now put the proper size battery in your new clock and find a spot to hang it.


















3 comments:

  1. Oh cool, I have a question on key chain & Necklace, Ok when drilling the hole ,is there a certain Type of bit to use?
    LOL I can see Jacob raiding the dominoes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We used a drill bit from a set of Black & Decker General Purpose Drill Bits from Walmart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok cool :) Thanks.

    ReplyDelete