because it has it's own base.
1 soft drink bottle 24oz.
1 wood dowel 1/2" x 24"
5 square head paper brads
1 water or soda bottle 3 liter size
3 liters of small stones or sand
1 wood screw #10 x 1 1/4"
Desired colors of paint and hot glue
Felt marker, scissors, drill & bits, craft awl, and screw driver
1. Using felt tip marker lay out 5 propeller fins on the soft drink bottle as in 1st photo below(each fin is lined up over the 5 knobs on the bottom of the bottle and on the smooth label area).
2. Cut off the top section of the bottle along dotted line shown in 1st photo below(click to enlarge).
3. Cut out the 5 fins and bend each out and down so they are all at 90 degrees to the bottom section of bottle, see 2nd photo.
4. Make a mark 3/4" up on the tapered side of each fin, see 2nd photo.
5. Fold and crease each fin along the line from the mark to the bottom of the opposite edge, see 3rd photo.
6. Bend each fin back to a 90 degree angle to the bottom section of the bottle and punch a hole in the folded fin section & bottle, insert paper brad and spread prongs on under side, see 4th photo(click to enlarge).
8. Drill a 3/16" hole in the center of cap and through bottom of bottle, paint prop as desired.
9. Drill pilot hole for screw in side of one end of 1/2" dowel, sand and paint.
10. Attach prop to dowel with wood screw.
11. Drill 1/2" hole in the center of the cap of 3 litter bottle, paint as desired.
12. Fit dowel through the hole in 3 litter bottle cap, fill bottle with sand or stone, push dowel into bottle and screw on cap(with the stone you may have to put the dowel in place and put stone in around dowel.