Wednesday, May 19, 2010
This nice wood box with opaque windows for a votive candle also has a lift up platform for lighting the candle.
4 sides 1/2" x 5" x 6" of Philippine Mahogany Plywood
1 top 1/2" x 5" x 5" of Philippine Mahogany Plywood
1 candle platform 1/2" x 3 7/8" x 3 7/8" of PMP
1 bottom 1/2" x 6" x 6" PMP
1 dowel 1/2" x 6 5/8"
1 wooden ball 1" dia.
4 window panels 1/16" Plexiglas 3 1/2" x 5 1/2"
4 wallboard screws 1" long
Craft sticker for the panels
Thin strips of double stick carpet tape
Craft paints, wood glue, and wood finish
Table saw, 3" hole saw, drill & bits, 2 large rubber bands or clamps, 2" forester bit(or spade bit), router, and screw driver.
1. Cut the top, bottom, sides, and platform from PMP as seen on drawing below.
2. Router out 1/8" deep and 3 1/2" wide notch in the inside of sides as in drawing.
3. Cut dowel and Plexiglas panels.
4. Drill holes in PMP and wooden ball as on drawing.
5. Sand all the PMP pieces.
6. Glue the 4 sides together with angled to angled edges forming the box, clamp with rubber bands or clamps( make sure to leave angled top edges to receive the top).
7. Glue the top into the angled edges of the sides and place a weight on top to clamp.
8. Glue dowel into the hole in platform piece.
9. Sand and finish all the PMP pieces, dowel and ball.
10. Place Plexiglas panel into notch and lightly mark the round window shape on outside of Plexiglas, remove and apply craft stickers on outside of panel within the circle(remove line with damp cloth).
11. Paint the back side of panel with watered down craft paint, I used a blue and white swirl mix with wet brush for 2 panels and green & white for 2 panels(experiment on scraps to get right opaque look)
12. Attach panels inside box with strips of double stick carpet tape.
13. Place the assembled box over the platform & dowel assembly, allowing the the dowel to stick up through the 1/2" hole in the top.
14. Turn the box bottom side up(place on 2 boards so dowel is free) and place the bottom onto the box, drill pilot holes and countersink, attach with wall board screws, put felt pads over screws.
15. Turn box upright and glue wooden ball onto dowel, allow glue to dry.
16. lift candle platform to the top of the box with the ball on the top, set candle in 2" recess and light(see photo below), lower candle into box, watch your new wood made candle box.